November 2020 Service

 November Total Hours: 5

    It was another amazing month of record-breaking collection days at Glass Half Full! I had my first shift at the big warehouse on Louisa St. At this location, we sort glass by colors! We separate the dark, clear, light green, and blue glass in different soap drums. After sorting 200+ glass bottles, I STILL cannot tell which glass is "light" green versus dark green, though. Easy candidates are Heineken, Perrier, & Pellegrino bottles. I also learned how to use the sand-making machines! There were a couple I learned how to operate & got better at using. 






   





The one I'm putting the wine bottle into jams easily, but super simple to fix. You load a glass bottle upside down through the flaps, wait a few seconds, listen for a swift grind, and repeat with the next bottle in the drum! It takes ~ 60 bottles to fill the collecting bucket underneath with the first grind of sand. Once the bucket is full, we pick it up and dump it into this crazy machine that further sorts the glass & ground up labels by particulate size. The collecting buckets eventually fill up, and are sorted into huge bags of sand with different consistencies.


At my other shift, I helped sort glass, bring it back to the machines, load up the truck to bring to the Joilet location, and test out our new tool. It rolls the glass-filled drums around AND doubles as a scooter!


There was also an old dumpster full of random warehouse supplies that got taken off this shift! 


Collections when GHF first began & COVID was not a concern were self-running. There were tops on the drums used to avoid overfilling. Since we don't use these anymore, I also ran around the warehouse today, collecting soap drum tops where I could find them. I loaded all of those into another large bag off to the side, so we could take them out and use them again when we can set up drop off stations around NOLA. 

Here are some more photos of this month at GHF! 












       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2021 Service

April 2021 Service: NOLA Ready Vaccines